Monday, November 22, 2010

High School Sterotypes

After my few months in high school, I’ve come to notice that the stereotypes that everyone talks about just aren’t true.

1.Upperclassmen. Upperclassmen don’t necessarily beat up on the freshmen. I’m friends with lots of upperclassmen and that’s not just because my sister is a senior. Sure, some of her friends are my friends too but I’ve made some friends on my own. Upperclassmen beating up on freshmen: False.

2.Cheerleaders. The cheerleaders are not always the popular ones. Just because they have a lot of friends, does not mean that they are popular. There is one girl on my school’s cheer team and pretty much everyone hates her. Even her own cheer team hates her. Cheerleaders being popular: False.

3.Geeks. Now I’ve had a hard time figuring out the whole “geeks are total losers” stereotype. I wouldn’t say that they’re losers and have no friends because geeks totally have friends within their own group of geeks. And they have friends OUTSIDE of their geek group too. I’m friends with a few geeks myself. Geeks being total losers: False.

4.That guy. He’s the one that everyone has a total crush on and everyone wants to be with him. I guess this stereotype depends on your group of friends. Some people might have their own ‘that guy’ within their group of friends. I’ve found ‘that guy’ within my own life. He’s really popular and friends with everybody, which gets annoying. I’m just friends with ‘that guy’ because I don’t want anything happening, partially because my sister would PROBABLY kill him if he ever tried to do anything to me. That Guy: True.

5.Potheads. This one was really fun to figure out. I made friends with a few potheads and oh my goodness they’re awesome. I’ve found the pothead stereotype to be truly false. Just because someone may be a pothead doesn’t mean that they don’t have anything going for them. One of the friends that I made is a pothead and he wants to be a fireman. Yes, he is failing a couple of classes but that doesn’t mean that he’s not going to go anywhere in life. Potheads: False.

There are many other stereotypes that I could think of but I haven’t yet figured them out. Stereotypes might now always be true so be careful of what you hear and say about people because one day, you might just be them.

No comments:

Post a Comment